ComIT + Google announce Recoding Futures, a program that will provide digital skills training to thousands of Indigenous learners across Canada.
- The one-month online introductory programs cover topics such as website programming or social media marketing, equipping the next generation of professionals with the skills needed to start their learning path.
- In a second phase of the program, our students can be part of a 3-month online course to train interested people in technologies needed in the labour market. Students will be required to attend 8 hours/week online and to do considerable homework. Classes will teach basic logic notions and coding languages such as Java, .Net and React among others. The topics of the courses offered will be determined by job openings across Canada. Soft skills and help with networking will also be included in our programs.
- Our next Introductory courses begin throughout OCTOBER/NOVEMBER 2022. We recommend early applications to secure your spot!
WHAT IS THE SELECTION CRITERIA?
- Self-identify as Indigenous (Status First Nations, non-status, Métis, Inuit)
- Be 15 years old or above
- Have the ability to study part-time
- Basic digital literacy skills
- Have access to a laptop/computer and stable internet connection (courses are 100% online)
Introduction to Social Media Marketing
A 1-month introductory course on Social Media Marketing that'll cover topics including Market Research, User Persona, Defining Brand and popular social media platforms. A popular course for those looking to use social media for their own businesses or work!
Start Date: November, TBD
Introduction to UX (User Experience) Design
A 1-month introductory course on User Experience Design basics and will cover a range of topics including User Flow/Sitemaps, Wireframes, Prototyping, Spacing and Grid and Visual Design Theory.
Start Date: November, TBD
HOW MUCH ARE THE COURSE FEES?
They're FREE! The courses we offer do not have any fees. Google Canada, through its philanthropic division Google.org, supports the program and enables free access for those enrolled.
IF I DO NOT HAVE ANY KNOWLEDGE IN PROGRAMMING OR MARKETING, CAN I TAKE THE COURSES?
Yes. While all prior knowledge helps, the courses are designed to start from scratch. The most important thing is that you put a lot of effort and dedication to learn everything we will cover during the courses.
WHAT ARE THE STEPS TO APPLYING?
1. Please read our FAQs to see if you qualify and learn about what we do and how we do it.
2. If you meet our requirements, you are still sure you want to take our courses and you can commit to attend and work hard, please register by clicking on the apply button at the bottom of this page.
3. Follow our and profiles to see when the next courses are announced in your city.
4. Check your email Inbox and Spam folders regularly as we will send out a questionnaire 1 to 4 weeks before a course is due to start.
5. You will receive our acceptance email if you have been selected and you should reply to us confirming your attendance.
6. Attend your course, study hard and recode your future!
- Upon Request
- Contact Info:
- Metok Rubling
- Additional Information:
- To register, head directly to our website at https://www.comit.org/recodingfutures.
- How to Register:
- Take me to the course