Temp/Casual Residence Support Worker, WRS
- John Howard Society Pacific
- John Howard Society Pacific
763 Kingsway St, Vancouver, V5V 3C2, Canada (Whitehorse, YT)
- Hours / week:
- Not Specified
- Wage / Salary:
- Not Disclosed
- Date posted:
- Closing date:
The John Howard Society Pacific (JHSP) and Council of Yukon First Nations (CYFN) will be working in collaboration on several important initiatives and recently signed a partnership agreement. The purpose of the agreement is to confirm the organizations’ shared approach to programming that support Yukon First Nations with complex needs and formalize the arrangement for governance of the organizations’ shared activities.
John Howard Society Pacific (JHSP) is a non-profit organization which provides the opportunity to work with purpose, and impact change in your community. We are a dynamic, innovative social service organization that strives to create safe, healthy, and inclusive communities for all. We do this through a continuum of programs which provide assistance with housing, life-skills, education, employment, and community-based services, with the goal of helping individuals achieve greater independence.
JHSP is working with the Yukon Review Board to provide community housing supports. The role of the organization will ensure opportunities for the resident to safely engage in key areas of life including home, relationships, social and cultural communities, employment, and health and wellness. This position will be working directly with resident and other community service providers to ensure a safe and supportive environment.
HOURS (Multiple Positions Available)
Varied Hours Required
- Temporary Full-Time (5 months)
- Temporary Part-Time (5 months)
- Participates in program planning for individuals living semi independently. Documents and implements the plan and provides input into the evaluation of the program.
- Evaluates client needs and develops short term plans to meet such needs with the active participation of clients and their families.
- Supports clients to function independently in their own homes and in the community by assisting with life skills development and/or behaviour management
- Recognizes and deals with potential emergency situations to minimize potential harm to the clients and/or the public.
- Works directly with community service providers, government and non-government organizations, and First Nations service providers to develop and implement individual support plans consistent with harm reduction and JHSP philosophies and practices.
- Participate in team meetings and corporate initiatives, engage in ongoing team planning and quality improvement activities, participate in maintaining a healthy environment for clients and team, and perform a variety of clerical duties as required.
We are seeking a highly motivated individual with a proven ability to work within a fast-paced, growth-focused environment. The ideal candidate has:
- Diploma in a related human/social service field and one-year of related experience
- Experience with clients with a history of conflict with the law, developmental disabilities and/or spectrum disorders, interaction with social agencies and experiencing psychiatric/personality disorders
- Experience working with First Nation communities
- A demonstrated and clear ability to respond well in crisis situations
- Ability to successfully complete a Criminal Records Check
- Current Emergency First Aid Certificate
- Class 5 driver’s license
- Personal transportation that is in good repair, insured for business up to $1,000,000 for liability, and which can be used to transport residents
WHAT WE OFFER?
- An inclusive and supportive work environment, along with the opportunity to work with purpose for non-profit organization
- Grow your career with employer-paid training and leadership development opportunities
- Comprehensive health benefits package, including extended health and dental and municipal pension plan
- Wellness supports, including counselling and other innovative wellness services are available to employees and their immediate families
COMMITTED LIVING WAGE EMPLOYER
JHSP recognizes the importance of supporting our communities through the Living Wage for Families Campaign. As a Certified Living Wage Employer, we are committed to providing our employees with fair living wages.
Diversity, equity and inclusion are essential to delivering exceptional care and building a great place to work. At JHS, we value and accommodate unique differences to ensure that our staff (both current and prospective) have the opportunity and are supported to thrive.
To build a strong and representative workforce, we are seeking candidates who will contribute to a caring and inclusive culture. We encourage applications from all qualified applicants, including but not limited to members of communities that are disadvantaged on any grounds, including Indigenous Peoples, people of colour, people of all genders and sexualities and people with disabilities. Multilingual skills and multicultural competence are assets.
- Additional Information:
- Please submit your application with a detailed cover letter and resume with the subject line “Temp/Casual Residence Support Worker, WRS” to firstname.lastname@example.org
- To apply:
- View Complete Posting