- Yukon Aboriginal Women's Council
- YAWC Office
407 Black St, Whitehorse, YT (Whitehorse, YT)
- Hours / week:
- 40 hours/week
- Wage / Salary:
- Not Disclosed
- Date posted:
- Closing date:
Join the Yukon Aboriginal Women’s Council (YAWC) as our new Office Administrator!
The Yukon Aboriginal Women’s Council (YAWC) is a non-profit society located in Whitehorse, Yukon, that supports leadership and advancement for and by Indigenous women, girls and gender diverse people in the Yukon Territory and Northern British Columbia. Rooted in First Nation cultures and traditions, YAWC has advocated for the rights of Indigenous women in the Yukon and Northern British Columbia for more than 50 years. YAWC is now ready to create a long-term sustainable path forward into the new decade that is both comprehensive and holistic, taking into account the outside entities that work in unison with the organization to serve its clientele better.
You are looking for more than just a job. You are looking to live your values and share your purpose. You know your “why” and want to work with others who know theirs. You are highly organized with demonstrated experience supporting teams in a multicultural environment, and have knowledge of Yukon First Nations, their culture, protocols, and values. You take pleasure in working with others and helping them achieve success in a team environment. You are excellent at prioritizing multiple tasks and deliverables, you’re comfortable and composed when dealing with conflict, and you conduct yourself in a professional manner. You have a personal sense of purpose that aligns with the purpose, values and goals of YAWC.
Office Administrator is a full-time, permanent position, working from YAWC’s office in Whitehorse, Yukon. The Office Administrator reports directly to the Board of Directors and a Board-appointed designee. YAWC offers competitive compensation based on qualifications and experience.
Terms: Permanent, full-time, in-office position. The Office Administrator works under client-based office conditions which include:
- Regular and urgent deadlines
- A substance-free, safe and inclusive workspace with diverse socio-economic demographics
- Frequent travel within Whitehorse and to Yukon communities; travel outside of the territory may be required
Accountability: The Office Administrator applies a high level of professional maturity and respect while engaging with staff, Board members, and clients. The Office Administrator is accountable to the Board of Directors and supports decision making by ensuring maintenance of and adherence to the YAWC constitution and bylaws, reporting to the Board on progress, preparing annual reports and coordinating quarterly, special and annual general meetings.
The Office Administrator contributes to the success of YAWC by overseeing the administration of the organization, providing oversight of YAWC programs, and implementing policies and procedures in a manner consistent with the mission, vision, goals and objectives of YAWC. Tasks include, but are not limited to:
- Overseeing the file and financial management system to ensure effective accounting and bookkeeping practices.
- Maintain all HR systems to ensure effective HR management.
- Monitoring operational budgets effectively and efficiently by creating annual budgets and providing monthly updates.
- Ensuring the organization maintains good standing as an NGO and functions within the law and ethically.
- Overseeing the funding process, including coordination of funding proposals and administration of funding.
- Oversight of programs and services to ensure all reports are up-to-date and ensure compliance.
- Enforce YAWC policies and procedures, and develop and implement new policies and processes where necessary to ensure YAWC remains compliant and up to date.
- Train and onboard new staff members on YAWC systems, policies and procedures.
- Maintaining a service-oriented workplace environment that is professional, inclusive and safe.
- Coordinating Board meetings, preparing agendas and supporting documents including financial reports in a timely manner.
- Handling independent contractor agreements and overseeing service delivery.
- Establish, maintain and advance community relations, government relations and other support organizations relationships.
- Supporting other staff in the delivery of ongoing programs and services.
- Dealing with HR-related issues as they arise, keeping the Board informed, and maintaining a record of all HR-related issues and/or complaints.
- Some travel to YAWC service areas will be required including but not limited to Watson Lake, Dawson City, Carcross Tagish, etc.
The Office Administrator takes responsibility for contributing to the effective and efficient operation and workflow of YAWC. Tasks include:
- Adherence to all organization systems, standards and procedures.
- Oversee and streamline daily operations.
- Regular communication with the President, Board of Directors and key advisors.
- Regular reporting to the Board on programs and services.
- Undergraduate level studies or equivalent experience required, a background in Business Administration or a related field is considered an asset.
- Experience working with Indigenous people in the Yukon is considered an asset.
- Experience in a leadership role is considered an asset.
- Friendly, personable and able to build collaborative working relationships with staff, Board of Directors, partners, and clients.
- Organized, process oriented, and able to prioritize tasks.
- Excellent written and spoken English required.
- Practical experience with Google Business applications preferred, experience with Quickbooks would be a bonus.
- Must be willing and able to do a Security Clearance Check with the Vulnerable Sector.
- A valid Yukon Class 5 driver’s license.
At YAWC, we recognize that skills and experience are gained through various pathways. We welcome and encourage candidates from diverse backgrounds, including those who may have transferable skills, a strong passion for supporting Indigenous women and girls, or a willingness to learn and grow. If you have a passion for YAWC’s mission and are excited about the potential to contribute, we encourage you to apply.
To apply: Please send your cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The deadline to apply is November 17, 2023. Only those shortlisted for interviews will be contacted.
Thank you for your interest.
- Additional Information:
- To apply:
- View Employer’s Website