Implementation Manager - Cable Internet Access
NA, Whitehorse, Canada (Whitehorse, YT)
- Full time
- Hours / week:
- Not Specified
- Wage / Salary:
- Not Disclosed
- Date posted:
- Closing date:
The Implementation Manager Cable Internet Access will design, develop, implement, support, and evaluate Cable High Speed Internet systems consisting of Cable Modem Termination System (CMTS), fibre optic transceivers, cable nodes, trunk amplifiers, taps, and other Hybrid Fibre Coax (HFC) and Fibre to the Home (FTTH) network components, and supporting back-office network elements.
The Implementation Manager - Cable Internet Access will be working in or leading cross functional teams tasked with building, expanding, upgrading, enhancing, and managing the performance of Northwestel’s cable internet access assets.
Northwestel values diversity in the workplace and is committed to the goals of Employment Equity. We strive to achieve a skilled workforce that is representative of the population we serve, and as a Northern company, we are committed to the employment and career development of our Indigenous peoples. Candidates must clearly indicate on their application if they are an Indigenous person, a woman, a person with a disability, or a visible minority if they wish to receive hiring preference.
Implementation (75% of role)
Through review of business plan objectives for specific technologies, the incumbent designs and develops detailed plans according to company standards for capital projects including unit testing & exception handling, developing installation specifications and detailed cost estimates including support packages consisting of support procedures, training, spares and vendor support.
- Once detailed plans have been developed, create implementation schedules, procure materials, equipment, engineering hardware and software, develop work schedules and priorities (for internal staff and/or contractors).
- Through project management discipline, ensure work is being done to specifications and meeting timelines set out, monitoring of capital budget expenditures; performs systems testing and acceptance of project. Evaluates skills and engages either internal personnel (or) contactors to perform work functions. Conduct work site inspections and maintains build quality through audits.
- The incumbent is responsible for developing proposed network designs for review and consideration; creating detailed circuit orders based on network designs and documenting any “as-built” network construction.
- While adhering to ITIL change management guidelines the Implementation Manager is responsible for submitting Requests for Change (RFCs) including Methods of Procedures and Roll Back plans for Network Changes associated with project work; as well as participating in Change Advisory Board meetings as a Subject Matter Expert.
- Provides third level technical support to various projects and areas of the organization.
Capacity and Availability Management (20% of role)
- Responsible for managing capacity and availability of assets to ensure planners have information to develop technology business plans.
- The incumbent is responsible for tracking and generating asset information required for planning purposes including predicting replacement, enhancement of assets based on age, return on investment, performance and capacity while developing best practices (CNPs).
- Provide support through Incident Management including assisting in resolution of any escalated incidents and resolution of reoccurring incidents or problems with the current network.
Business Planning (5% of role)
- Provide input and solutions to Strategic planners, steering teams, the portfolio management team, and the overall ITM business plan. The Implementation Manager is a key contributor to the strategic planning process.
- Develop Implementable plans including descriptions of the underlying business need and solution, as well as a High Level estimated project plan including resourcing, cost, timeline, and business value.
- Assess technological business needs on a case by case basis, utilize that assessment to develop business cases for technological solutions.
- Maintain technology menu through approving devices for specific applications including IOS versions and levels; maintain, support and enforce technology approval process.
Knowledge and Skills Required
- Undergraduate or post-graduate degree in Electrical, Computer, or Network Engineering
- Any CCNP or CCNA level certification
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification is an asset
- Knowledge of DOCSIS, Cisco CMTS, and Hybrid Fibre/Coax (HFC) network architectures
- Knowledge of DNS, DHCP, SMTP, and server technologies related to the provision of High-Speed Internet
- Strong knowledge and familiarity of radiofrequency (RF) engineering principles
- Ability to develop architectures, designs, methods, and practices to meet requirements for new products
- Knowledge of systems and software development (Perl, Python, C, XML, Shell scripting) is an asset
- Knowledge of IPv4/IPv6, addressing and subnetting, typical routing protocols (OSPF, BGP)
- Knowledge of Ethernet and related protocols (ARP, Spanning Tree)
- Knowledge of network management and monitoring and AAA protocols (SNMP, RMON, RADIUS)
- Experience with database technologies (SQL) is an asset
- Ability to troubleshoot and configure router and ethernet switch networks
- Self-motivation and ability to work with minimal supervision
- Strong commitment to customer service
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Ability to express technology issues in business terms
- Ability to work under pressure with multiple conflicting priorities
- Ability to develop methods of procedure (MOP) outlining the technical steps necessary to effectively implement complicated high risk changes to production service platforms
- Ability to act as level 3 technical support to address service impacting network outages
As part of the recruitment process for this position, candidates may be required to take pre-employment tests and/or complete work simulation exercise to assess job fit.
As a safety conscious COR™ Certified organization, we have an established and comprehensive safety program. We expect all employees to participate in our organizational health and safety programs, adhering to all safe work procedures focused on continuous improvement.
- Additional Information:
- To apply:
- View Employer’s Website