I/S Software Quality Tester
NA, Whitehorse, Canada (Whitehorse, YT)
- Full time
- Hours / week:
- Not Specified
- Wage / Salary:
- Not Disclosed
- Date posted:
- Closing date:
Also known as a QA engineer, software tester, or software test engineer, an I/S software quality assurance (QA) tester develops test plans to test new and existing software, debug code, and improve the usability of software programs. A QA tester works with the development team to produce top-quality software.
Northwestel values diversity in the workplace and is committed to the goals of Employment Equity. We strive to achieve a skilled workforce that is representative of the population we serve, and as a Northern company, we are committed to the employment and career development of our Indigenous peoples. Candidates must clearly indicate on their application if they are an Indigenous person, a woman, a person with a disability, or a visible minority if they wish to receive hiring preference.
- Perform structured and context-driven software testing (includes system, functional, integration and regression).
- Extract testing requirements from functional specifications and business requirements.
- Write and maintain test plans, testing schedules and test cases from functional specifications, release notes and from using the product.
- Build and maintain testing scripts in an automated testing tool.
- Evaluate, analyze and compare test results. Investigate applications for potential causes of defects. Create detailed defect reports.
- Use queries to find test data.
- Manage development, testing and training environments; includes requesting refreshes, coordinating and conducting intake tests and smoke tests.
- Liase with Business Analysts to understand requirements of the system.
- Work with Systems Analysts to evaluate and understand production problems.
- Comprehensively test fixes provided by Systems Analysts.
- Adhere to Northwestel’s testing and quality assurance practices. Work with team for continuous improvement.
Knowledge & Skills Required
- Foundation Level ISTQB Software Tester Certification or completion of an IS or equivalent diploma (with a concentration in software development).
- 2 years software testing experience
- 1 year SQL and database experience.
- 2 years telecommunications and cable experience, with clear understanding of service delivery processes including ordering, provisioning and billing is required.
- Experience writing test plans and test cases.
- Excellent analytical skills and problem solving skills, with the ability to propose practical solutions to complex problems.
- Excellent task planning skills, strong attention to detail and ability to deal with shifting priorities are essential.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Intermediate level of proficiency with word processing, spreadsheet and database packages (e.g. Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel and Microsoft Access).
- The successful candidate will be required to pass (70% pass) an exam demonstrating proficiency of the points outlined above.
- As part of the recruitment process for this position, candidates may be required to take pre-employment tests and/or complete work simulation exercise to assess job fit.
As a safety conscious COR™ Certified organization, we have an established and comprehensive safety program. We expect all employees to participate in our organizational health and safety programs, adhering to all safe work procedures focused on continuous improvement.
- Additional Information:
- To apply:
- View Employer’s Website