Gwich’in Language Teacher - Old Crow
- First Nation School Board
- Chief Zzeh Gittlit School
Box 93 , Old Crow, Yukon (Old Crow, YT)
- Full time
- Hours / week:
- Not Specified
- Wage / Salary:
- Not Disclosed
- Date posted:
- Closing date:
The Gwich’in people living in the Yukon community of Old Crow are of the Vuntut Gwitchin First Nation – referring to Van Tat or “people who live among the lakes,” describing the nearby Crow Flats area.
Approximately 250 people live in the village of Old Crow, a remote, fly-in community in northern Yukon, within the traditional territory of the Vuntut Gwitchin First Nation. Since the 1970s, the Gwich’in language has been taught in Chief Zzeh Gittlit School.
Chief Zzeh Gittlit School is a K-12 school with approximately 40 students, and is one of 8 Yukon public schools that have recently joined the newly established First Nation School Board (FNSB). We are actively seeking committed and qualified educators who are dedicated to living in and being an active member of the community and who can adapt well to a remote lifestyle. Our educational professionals value authentic relationships and are committed to working with students, community, administration, the Vuntut Gwitchin First Nation and the FNSB to make positive, progressive changes to education outcomes for learners of Old Crow centered around Gwich’in ways of knowing, being and doing.
The successful candidate will be an inclusive member of the teaching staff at Chief Zzeh Gittlit. The Gwich’in Language Teacher role is critical to the successful ongoing development and implementation of our Gwich’in language and culture programming. We value healthy and positive relationships with students and strive to offer programming that is engaging and culturally relevant. Participation in language courses hosted in community by the Vuntut Gwitchin First Nation will be supported.
• Completion of the Yukon Native Language Centre certificate program or equivalent;
• Demonstrated language proficiency or a desire to learn the Gwich’in language to deliver the Gwich’in language and culture program;
• Demonstrated on-going commitment to improve language proficiency;
• Strong knowledge of Gwich’in culture including a good understanding of past and current issues in education and language revitalization.
NOTE: Candidates who have education, training and/or experience equivalent to the education criteria listed above will be considered.
DESIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND SUITABILITY:
• Strong interest and ability to teach the Gwich’in language and culture;
• Strong classroom management skills;
• Ability to adapt and modify learning so that all students experience success in our programming;
• Ability to work as an effective contributing team member who is enthusiastic and willing to participate in all staff meetings, school-wide functions and initiatives,
• Willingness and ability to partake in First Nations Language Teacher professional development;
• Ability to connect and collaborate with school based staff, parents and caregivers;
• Willingness to actively promote Gwich’in language and culture within school programming and environment.
• Preference will be given to Gwich’in language speakers who are citizens of Vuntut Gwitchin First Nation;
• Successful applicant will be required to undergo a security/vulnerable sector check prior to starting work.
- Additional Information:
- To apply:
- View Complete Posting