Education Support Coordinator
- Kwanlin Dün First Nation
- Kwanlin Dün First Nation
35 McIntyre Driver, Whitehorse, Yukon, Y1A 5A5, Canada (Whitehorse, YT)
- Full time
- Hours / week:
- 35 hours/week
- Wage / Salary:
- Not Disclosed
- Date posted:
- Closing date:
Kwanlin Dün First Nation (KDFN) is seeking a qualified Education Support Coordinator (ESC). Reporting to the Manager, School Age Education (Manager), the ESC is responsible for connecting students and families with resources they need to be successful in school, addressing barriers to school attendance and ultimately helping the student graduate. They work to facilitate the successes and career aspirations of KDFN youth throughout their school age years (K-12). KDFN students will be provided with the continuous opportunity for personal career growth and graduation success in a supportive, respectful and culturally responsive manner, reflective of the Kwanlin Dün way of learning and living.
The successful candidate will have excellent communication skills with the ability to foster and maintain effective relationships with KDFN students and their families.
Based out of the respective public school and the House of Learning in the Kwanlin Dün community, the ESC will provide support to KDFN students and families throughout the year (September through August), while school is in and out of session. Please be aware that this position does not follow the school calendar.
- Post-Secondary Education in Social Work, Indigenous studies, Education, Career Practitioner or similar combined with experience working with First Nation students, preferably in a school setting;
- Experience in career counseling, counseling methods, trauma informed practice, or similar;
- Experience working within a case management model is required;
- Experience advocating and supporting First Nation children and youth;
- Experience developing successful individualized graduation plans;
- Experience in planning and coordinating projects and events;
- Knowledge of, and experience with, a variety of strategies, including technology, to support learning;
- Knowledge of and experience with Yukon First Nation ways of knowing and doing, including land-based learning, language(s), and culture;
- Knowledge of Yukon public school education system and community-based educational and Indigenous service providers in Yukon.
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to foster and maintain effective relationships with KDFN students and their families.
Knowledge of Yukon First Nation Peoples history with formalized education systems, residential school and inter-generational effects specific to education and social programming and familiarity with Kwanlin Dün First Nation history, culture, demographics, goals and aspirations is required for success in this position.
Please note that selection for further consideration will be based solely on the information you provide in your resume. An equivalent combination of completed relevant training and workshops, combined with considerable experience in the above areas will also be considered. This is not a training or development opportunity.
Conditions of Employment: satisfactory pre-employment criminal records check with vulnerable sector search; valid Class 5 Yukon drivers’ license and access to a personal vehicle; Standard First Aid & CPR-C (asset).
- Additional Information:
- *KDFN has a generous employer paid benefits and pension package that commences after 3 months of continued employment. Please submit your resume and cover letter to: Human Resources, via fax (633-8414), or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org Note: For those submitting applications via email, you will receive a manual response stating that your email has been received. If you do not receive this automatic response within two (2) business days, please contact the Human Resources Unit. For a full job description, please visit our website at http://www.kwanlindun.com/employment We thank all those who apply however only those selected for further consideration will be contacted. The KDFN Hiring Preference Policy is in effect. An eligibility list may be established from this competition to hire identical or similar positions in the future. KDFN reserves the right to underfill this position.
- To apply:
- View Employer’s Website