Architect, IT Security
NA, Whitehorse, Canada (Whitehorse, YT)
- Full time
- Hours / week:
- Not Specified
- Wage / Salary:
- Not Disclosed
- Date posted:
- Closing date:
Reporting to the Senior Manager, IT Planning, the IT Security Architect, is responsible for delivering security consultation and architecture design for Northwestel. Drawing on both technical and business integration acumen, the IT Security Architect will be the primary contact for leading the planning, and design of Northwestel’s IT security infrastructure. The incumbent is responsible for the architecture, design and deployment of security projects with project teams. In addition, the candidate will be responsible for developing and maintaining security protocols to industry best practice standards for the company. The IT Security Architect is responsible for engagement, coaching, and consultation with key business stakeholders on IT Security matters.
The IT Security Architect must understand the diverse security infrastructure that supports Northwestel’s business and be able to differentiate and respond to the unique security requirements. The incumbent must also have a comprehensive knowledge of both technical and operational network security best practices and significant experience in a wide variety of technology platforms and security services that Northwestel supports. The IT Security Architect must identify and compare technological capabilities that are required to support a particular security service, and identify technological gaps where more development is needed.
Northwestel values diversity in the workplace and is committed to the goals of Employment Equity. We strive to achieve a skilled workforce that is representative of the population we serve, and as a Northern company, we are committed to the employment and career development of our Indigenous peoples. Candidates must clearly indicate on their application if they are an Indigenous person, a woman, a person with a disability, or a visible minority if they wish to receive hiring preference.
- Guide the IT Security team in the delivery of security solutions and infrastructure architecture.
- Acts as a senior resource in regard to developing and delivering strategic security initiatives.
- Develops security initiatives and designs for security best practices with a focus on strategic and complex security solutions, in conjunction with the Corporate Security team.
- Acts as a communication lesson/single point of contact for security incident management between the IT Security team and corporate security.
- Defines Northwestel’s requirements, architecture and design for security solutions with a focus on Identity Management solutions and/or Infrastructure Protection solutions i.e. Firewalls, VPNs, VOIP, Intrusion prevention/detection, Access controls, Perimeter security, secure content including Network Access Control (NAC), Data Loss Prevention (DLP), Security Information and Event Management (SIEM), etc.
- Reports security metrics, provided by the Analyst, IT Security, to Northwestel management and or Corporate Security for assessment and possible review for the Information Security Steering Committee (ISSC).
- Approves vendor choices and establishing product/vendor selection criteria.
- Leads and coaches security staff in the delivery of new technologies and mandates.
- Develops and maintains IT Security preparedness plans and procedures to cope with information security breaches/incidents.
- Contributes to the continuous growth of the Security Solutions practice through mentorship, identification of new opportunities and development of security solutions.
- Available for occasional travel and call-outs after normal business hours in the event of a security incident.
Knowledge and Competencies Required
- A Bachelor or College degree in Computer Science, System Engineering or one or more of the following professional designations or equivalent experience and the willingness to obtain certifications within the first year: SANS GIAC, CISSP, CISM, JNCIA-JUNOS, JNCIS-SA, technical certifications with major vendors i.e. Fortinet, Cisco, Symantec, RSA, Juniper, CA, Oracle, VMware with a minimum of ten (10) years experience in IT.
- Five (5) years experience providing technical architecture expertise on Security Solutions in a large corporate environment, focusing on solution implementation.
- Experience providing detailed technical architecture and integration expertise with major Vendor solutions i.e. Cisco, HP, Symantec, RSA, Juniper, CA, Oracle, VMware, etc.
- An understanding of PCI, NIST, ITIL, or other compliance frameworks are considered assets.
- Business acumen coupled with a strong understanding of project methodology and the ability to manage complex deliveries or programs from a pre-implementation and design perspective.
- Excellent communication, presentation, documentation and interpersonal skills are a requirement for this position with an ability to communicate complex technical points to others at the technical, user and management levels.
- Proven leadership skills including team development, performance management and the ability to reorganizing workloads to accommodate for changing priorities.
- As part of the recruitment process for this position, candidates may be required to take pre-employment tests and/or complete work simulation exercise to assess job fit
Applications will be reviewed as they are submitted. Posting will remain active until the position is filled.
As a safety-conscious COR™ Certified organization, we have an established and comprehensive safety program. We expect all employees to participate in our organizational health and safety programs, adhering to all safe work procedures focused on continuous improvement.
Bachelors or better in Information Technology or related field.
Licenses & Certifications
- Additional Information:
- To apply:
- View Employer’s Website